Monday, January 24, 2011

A Greek Monument

To introduce myself.... my name is Liz Steel and I am an architect. I have been drawing in some way or other all my life, but when I discovered watercolours in 2007, I started sketching regularly... and haven’t stopped since then. I fill sketchbook after sketchbook with a visual record of my life which I share on my blog Liz and Borromini. One of the things that I love about sketching is the fact that it slows you down, making you stop to look and appreciate the world around you.

I have lived in Sydney all my life and love it so much. Since becoming the Sydney Correspondent for the international group of Urban Sketchers, I have made a determined effort to get out on a regular basis to sketch my wonderful hometown in order to share it online with people all around the world. The Royal Botanic Gardens has such a pivotal role in our city – it is essential to the classic view that the world sees as ‘Sydney’ and also is involved in many of the big social events during the year. It has held a special place in my life as well – when I wander its grounds I am always reminded of events in the past such as visits with overseas friends, weddings, concerts, picnics and school excursions.
110108 Botanic Gardens choragic monument

I am very excited to be a part of the Great Garden Sketchabout and look forward to sharing my sketches and adventures with you all on this blog – there is so much to explore, not just the plants, but also the buildings, the views, the sculptures, the animals... The list goes on.

Here is a sketch I did a few weeks ago when I was in the garden for a few hours -it is a sketch of the Choragic monument of Lysicrates replica (copy of something in Athens... don't worry I had to take a photo of the plaque and google it myself!)
Notice the Harbour Bridge in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment